Deck season will be here before you know it! So, start planning your home improvements ahead of time, and be sure to involve a licensed general contractor. When the warm weather arrives in Western North Carolina, you’ll be set to relish it from your back deck and even invite friends and family to do the same.
But a deck can do even more for your home. When you speak with a professional general contractor, you’ll discover this particular addition goes to work for your home investment in a myriad of other ways.
Reasons to Add A Deck to Your Home
Perhaps constructing a deck seems daunting. For instance, you’ll need to consider the project cost, your space budget (yard space vs. deck or patio space), and much more. However, with the number of benefits, you’ll be convinced that the time and money are worth the effort. Here’s how a deck can improve your spring and summer in the Blue Ridge Mountains:
- Can increase your home’s value. If you’re interested in adding additional value to your home, building a deck is a great way to do so. Decks have become a huge trend in home purchasing markets and will unquestionably help when the time comes to sell your home.
- Gives you more space to entertain. As a homeowner, you’ll find it refreshing to have extra space for yourself and your guests. Depending on the size of your deck, you may want to consider adding a hot tub on it!
- Increases your home storage space. Many decks have vacant spaces underneath that are great for extra storage. This can provide space for yard tools, snow equipment, outdoor toys, and anything else that doesn’t require indoor protection.
- More outdoor options. You’ll be able to relax, unwind, and take in your Buncombe County, NC surroundings. Your deck should feel like your own little slice of nature.
- Outside additions are low maintenance. Unlike most rooms in your home, decks require less upkeep.
- Decks are relatively inexpensive. Compared to other additions to your home, decks are budget-friendly!
“Building an outside addition requires specialized materials and tools, and your contractor will be fully equipped or know exactly where to get what they need for the project.”
Why You Should Hire a General Contractor
As with any home improvement project, they all come with different levels of complexity. For example, a simple deck that is built just off the ground and does not require stairs or any complicated specs might be within a DIY-er’s skillset. But, as a deck gets higher off the ground and more complicated, a working knowledge of local building codes, permitting processes, special equipment or materials, and safety measures requires a professional. Here are 5 advantages to hiring a general contractor:
- A professional can save you time! A contractor can most likely work faster than you. These professionals have honed their skills over years and have the time to devote themselves to your project rather than working on it on the weekends or maneuvering around a full-time job.
- A professional will have the correct tools. Building an outside addition requires specialized materials and tools, and your contractor will be fully equipped or know exactly where to get what they need for the project.
- Your contractor will be able to get proper permits. Because decks are typically larger structures, you’ll find that there are various counterparts that come into place depending on where you live.
- A contractor will build your deck safely. Safety is a major concern for any type of project. General contractors know the safety codes to follow.
- Saves you money! Who doesn’t love saving money? Hiring a professional may actually end up saving you money by getting the job done right the first time and on schedule. You won’t have to purchase tools, and often, they have leads on materials and better costs.
“Create a list of all things you want for your project so your contractor can give you a better estimate of the cost.”
What to Consider When Hiring a General Contractor
Unless you want to hire a designer, you’ll need to figure out what you’d like to include in your project. Setting a budget should be your top priority, so you’ll know exactly how much you can afford. Here are some other things to consider when planning to build a deck:
- Deck size. You’ll want rough dimensions on what your space will allow. This information helps the contractor have a better idea of the project’s scope from start to finish.
- Deck levels. Are you looking for a single expanse or multiple levels? Will your deck lead to a pool or garden? Extra deck levels will increase the cost of the deck.
- Deck flooring materials. Pressure-treated wood is the most popular choice when it comes to choosing floor materials for decks. However, there’s a wide variety of materials available today that will give you an enormous latitude in composition as well as appearance.
- Extra deck features. Are you interested in adding a hot tub, fire pit, water feature, or perhaps a planting area? Create a list of all things you want for your project so your contractor can give you a better estimate of the cost.
Any home addition takes planning if you want it done properly. Semper Fi has a committed team of experienced builders and General contractors in Western North Carolina eager to renovate your dream home into a reality. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you have a more relaxing and beautiful deck season this year!